Since his early work on local Scottish television through roles in some of the most beloved fantasy and sci-fi franchises of all time, David Tennant has been entertaining audiences with his unique brand of wit, warmth and humanity.
Tennant made his professional acting debut at the tender age of 16, appearing in an anti-smoking film made by the Glasgow Health Board which aired on television and was also screened in schools. A year later, Tennant could be seen in an episode of the children's anthology series Dramarama.
Tennant's earliest feature film role was in Jude (1996), in which he shared a scene with fellow Doctor to be, Christopher Eccleston. Tennant developed his career in the British theatre, frequently performing with the Royal Shakespeare Company. His first Shakespearean role for the RSC was in As You Like It (1996). He subsequently specialized in comic roles, playing Antipholus of Syracuse in The Comedy of Errors and Captain Jack Absolute in The Rivals, although he also played the tragic role of Romeo in Romeo and Juliet.
In television, Tennant appeared in the first episode of Reeves and Mortimer's revamped Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) in 2000, playing an eccentric artist. This is one of his few TV roles in his native Scottish accent. During the Christmas season of 2002, he starred in a series of television advertisements for Boots the Chemists. He began to appear on television more prominently in 2004 and 2005, when he appeared in a dramatization of He Knew He Was Right (2004), Blackpool (2004), Casanova (2005), and The Quatermass Experiment (2005). In film, he appeared in Bright Young Things (2003), and later that same year appeared as Barty Crouch Jr. in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
2005 saw David Tennant live out a childhood dream by being cast as the indomitable Doctor Who. Tennant's run as the Tenth Doctor won massive praise from fans and critics alike, with the readers of Doctor Who magazine voting him "Best Doctor." Tennant's run as the Doctor lasted five years and made an indelible impact on the series and its appeal not only among longtime fans but converts as well. His final appearance as the Tenth Doctor was for the 50th anniversary special The Day of the Doctor was a landmark event in the series' history that brought together the series' past, present and future.
Tennant was next seen on the hugely successful BBC detective series Broadchurch. International interest in the show was such that a US remake was commissioned with Tennant cast once again as the lead. Re-titled Gracepoint, the series was filmed between January and May 2014 and aired in October of 2014 on Fox. Tennant can next be seen as the villainous Kilgrave in the Marvel Studios project, Jessica Jones, to be seen on Netflix.
Convention Guest Appearances
- Wizard World Comic Con Des Moines 2018 - June 1-3, 2018 in Des Moines, IA, USA
- Silicon Valley Comic Con 2018 - April 6-8, 2018 in San Jose, CA, USA
- Wizard World Comic Con Cleveland 2018 - March 2-4, 2018 in Cleveland, OH, USA
- Emerald City Comicon 2018 - March 1-4, 2018 in Seattle, WA, USA
- Wizard World Comic Con New Orleans 2018 - January 5-7, 2018 in New Orleans, LA, USA 2017
- Dallas Fan Days 2017 - October 20-22, 2017 in Irving, TX, USA
Wizard World Comic Con Chicago 2017 - August 24-27, 2017 in Rosemont, IL, USACancelled Appearance
- Wizard World Comic Con Columbus (Ohio) 2017 - August 4-6, 2017 in Columbus, OH, USA
- Montreal Comiccon 2017 - July 7-9, 2017 in Montreal, QC, Canada
- Awesome Con 2017 - June 16-18, 2017 in Washington, DC, USA 2016
- MegaCon Tampa Bay 2016 - October 28-30, 2016 in Tampa Bay, FL, USA
- Wizard World Comic Con NYC - The Doctors 2016 - April 16, 2016 in New York, NY, USA
- Wizard World Comic Con Madison 2016 - April 8-10, 2016 in Madison, WI, USA
- Wizard World Comic Con St. Louis 2016 - April 1-3, 2016 in St. Louis, MO, USA 2015
- Wizard World Comic Con Philadelphia 2015 - May 7-10, 2015 in Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Wizard World Comic Con Raleigh 2015 - March 13-15, 2015 in Raleigh, NC, USA 2012
- Midnight 2012 - December 14-16, 2012 in Birmingham
- The Lords of Time 2012 - September 7-9, 2012 in Birmingham 2011
- The Entertainment Media Show 2011 - October 1-2, 2011 in London